Mineral- The Power of Failing (1997)
This is definitely a very personal choice. I grew up as a ‘90s emo kid, which is much different than what the word emo will later become. I was 18 and trying to figure out life and my own emotions when this came out, and the lyrics and songs meant so much to me. Mineral is one of the forefathers of the second wave of emo. Don't even try to compare this to what the average person today thinks emo is via My Chemical Romance Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional or something like that. This is something so much different, less commercial, less image based, and just more raw.
I mean, this is raw, this is lo-fi. This is small production, poorly recorded in many parts. This is late 1990s DIY, touring in a van, eating Taco Bell on $5 a day music. The rawness and emotion that screams from Chris's unique, unusual and unsteady vocals is what makes this album special.The loud, soft, clean and distorted guitars feeding off one another to create harmonies along with the driving bass lines create the symphony of dynamics that leads to the lyrics of sadness and regret within the finely crafted walls of Christianity that Chris( vocalist) lived in at the time.
1. Five, Eight and Ten- " To put me on this pedestal and make me feel so naked"
This is a song about the uncertainty of growing up, who to trust, who to listen to and the social anxiety that life sometimes
causes. It was me when this song came out.
I love how this song unfolds. The last minute and half of the song always leaves me wanting to scream the lyrics along
in unison.
2. Gloria- “Cause I just wanna be something more than the mud in your eyes, I want to be the clay in your hands”
My favorite song on the album. It’s a song about love, especially one-sided love, but this song is also clearly about depression.
This is definitely a very personal choice. I grew up as a ‘90s emo kid, which is much different than what the word emo will later become. I was 18 and trying to figure out life and my own emotions when this came out, and the lyrics and songs meant so much to me. Mineral is one of the forefathers of the second wave of emo. Don't even try to compare this to what the average person today thinks emo is via My Chemical Romance Fall Out Boy, Dashboard Confessional or something like that. This is something so much different, less commercial, less image based, and just more raw.
I mean, this is raw, this is lo-fi. This is small production, poorly recorded in many parts. This is late 1990s DIY, touring in a van, eating Taco Bell on $5 a day music. The rawness and emotion that screams from Chris's unique, unusual and unsteady vocals is what makes this album special.The loud, soft, clean and distorted guitars feeding off one another to create harmonies along with the driving bass lines create the symphony of dynamics that leads to the lyrics of sadness and regret within the finely crafted walls of Christianity that Chris( vocalist) lived in at the time.
1. Five, Eight and Ten- " To put me on this pedestal and make me feel so naked"
This is a song about the uncertainty of growing up, who to trust, who to listen to and the social anxiety that life sometimes
causes. It was me when this song came out.
I love how this song unfolds. The last minute and half of the song always leaves me wanting to scream the lyrics along
in unison.
2. Gloria- “Cause I just wanna be something more than the mud in your eyes, I want to be the clay in your hands”
My favorite song on the album. It’s a song about love, especially one-sided love, but this song is also clearly about depression.
Damn, if we all haven’t found ourselves attached to someone in our past that didn’t care about us as much as we cared
about them. I know when this album came out, I felt that way 24/7.
I love how heavy hitting this song comes out only to slow it down to revel in the despair of Chris' lyrics. This song is filled with so many dynamic moments. Again, the last 45 seconds of the song goes somewhere completely different than typical song structure expects and it’s so beautiful. This whole album does this.
3. Slower- ”It's just not the same when you're staring into a perfect golden sunset and thinking about how you sold your
soul to send the rain away”
This is a song about depression and trying to find happiness by doing the right thing. Dynamics, Dynamics
Dynamics, and raw emotional lyrics with distorted guitar and noise. Once again at like 4:10 in the song, after a great
noisy breakdown, the song ends in a dramatic way to emphasize the elements of the song, but to do something it
hasn’t done yet. I love the way it does this so much.
4. Dolorosa- ”I long to touch your face”
This is a slower paced song that is seemingly a noisey, distorted, call to arms gospel song, it is an ode to Jesus or
Christianity in general. Like Bono, Chris was a Christian who used some Christian imagery in their songs, but didn't really want to be associated with budding Christain Indie rock movement. This song is a good example of it. Very few lyrics, but stays right to the point. The first 2 minutes drags a little, but after it starts to pick up, it starts to bring it. It is one of
my least favorite songs, but it still brings surprises to me when I listen to it.
5. 80-37 “But things they change and people grow and move in step with the green paper flow but deep inside I
wonder or maybe I already know they they never really find the answers”
A song about nostalgia and regret with relationships. The sadness that comes from reflecting on the origin of broken
relationships on why and how it happened. They’ll never take the good days. This song has so much sonic aggression
but still filled with surprise on where the song is going, I love the bassline that resonates throughout this song. I love
how the song changes with the tone of the lyrics. The aggression of the lyrics seem to match the aggression of the
song. One of my favorites.
6. If I Could “And she folded up her fears like paper airplanes and lost them in the trees”
This is another sonic dynamic masterpiece with some grueling heart-tugging lyrics. It goes back and forth from quiet to
loud. If you can’t handle that, then you already know this album isn’t for you, but I love the way this song uses it with its
lyrics. Man, 3:30, when the distortion comes in, is one of my favorite moments in music, and then how the song closes
out. It’s just beautiful and what late 90’s emo is all about in one section of a song. This is one of my absolute favorites.
7. July “The sun fell down again last night on my anger, the sun fell down again last night on frustration”
This one has some cool sonic dynamics again. This song isn’t as meaningful as others to me, but I still really like it. I like the weird solo that comes in around 3:10. Mineral did such a great job of never being too predictable while still fitting in an overarching genre.
8. Silver “And happiness is just a dream or so it seems. It's something that I can never see”
This is a slow-paced weeper. It’s my least favorite, but I really like the overall vibe. I just don’t think it is aspiring as the others. It’s more generic.
9. Take the Picture Now “My cup is full and my heart spills awkward and embarrasing blood”
I like some parts of the song, but it doesn’t have the emotional output as others, but still solid. The second weakest song on the album for me.
10. Parking Lot “And when i'm finally naked and standing in the sunlight I'll look back at all this selfishness and foolish pride and laugh at myself”
The album ends with a strong one. This one has everything you want in a Mineral song. Sad, descriptive imagery in lyrics- check. Dynamic guitars- check, driving bass line- check, slow build into hysteria- check. A powerful ending where you are screaming along to the lyrics- check.
This one has some cool sonic dynamics again. This song isn’t as meaningful as others to me, but I still really like it. I like the weird solo that comes in around 3:10. Mineral did such a great job of never being too predictable while still fitting in an overarching genre.
8. Silver “And happiness is just a dream or so it seems. It's something that I can never see”
This is a slow-paced weeper. It’s my least favorite, but I really like the overall vibe. I just don’t think it is aspiring as the others. It’s more generic.
9. Take the Picture Now “My cup is full and my heart spills awkward and embarrasing blood”
I like some parts of the song, but it doesn’t have the emotional output as others, but still solid. The second weakest song on the album for me.
10. Parking Lot “And when i'm finally naked and standing in the sunlight I'll look back at all this selfishness and foolish pride and laugh at myself”
The album ends with a strong one. This one has everything you want in a Mineral song. Sad, descriptive imagery in lyrics- check. Dynamic guitars- check, driving bass line- check, slow build into hysteria- check. A powerful ending where you are screaming along to the lyrics- check.
No comments:
Post a Comment